Auroville’s Residents’ Assembly consists of all the residents of Auroville aged eighteen years and above. The powers of the Residents’ Assembly are to advise the Governing Board and to make proposals for approval by the Governing Board. It also has the power to grant and terminate the right to residence in Auroville. The Act prescribes that a Working Committee of the Residents’ Assembly shall assist the Residents’ Assembly and the Governing Board in discharging their duties under the Act.
From the AV-Foundation Act:
18. (1) The Residents’ Assembly shall consist of all the residents of Auroville who are for the time being entered in the register of residents maintained under this section.
(2) The Secretary to the Government Board shall maintain the register of residents in such manner as may be prescribed and all the persons who are residents of Auroville and who are of the age of eighteen years and above are entitled to have their names entered in the register on an application made to the Secretary in such form as may be prescribed.
(3) All the names of residents, which have been included in the register maintained by the Administrator appointed under section 5 of the Auroville (Emergency Provisions) Act, 1980 immediately before the appointed day, shall be deemed to have been included in the register maintained under this section.
19. (1) The Residents’ Assembly shall perform such functions as are required by this Act and shall advise the Governing Board in respect of all activities relating to the residents of Auroville;
(2) In particular, and without prejudice to the foregoing powers, the Residents’ Assembly may-
(a) allow the admission or cause the termination of persons in the register of residents in accordance with the regulations made under section 32;
(b) organize various activities relating to Auroville;
(c) formulate the master plan of Auroville and make necessary recommendations for the recognition of organizations engaged in activities relatable to Auroville for the approval of the Governing Board;
(d) recommend proposals for raising funds for Auroville for the approval of the Governing Board.
(3) For the purpose of carrying on its functions, the Residents’ Assembly may establish such committees as it may consider necessary which shall represent it in relation to the functions to be performed by the Governing Board.